Sunday, July 31, 2011

SUMMERTIME AND THE LIVING IS IMPOSSIBLE

IT'S HOT! You're welcome. I realize how appreciative you must be to hear that. I am sick of summer. Not just this year, since I was maybe 20. SUMMER used to be the hallowed time between the hell of one grade in school to another.  Now is it that period of time during the year where no one should have to move. I don't mean relocate, I mean move.

I am one of the lucky people in this state, which we well now call The Lone Cauldron of Hell, with a pool in my backyard. The pool water is 96 degrees. That is not refreshing. That is a place to wash clothes or have a bath. I haven't even seen a cloud this summer that I recall. Birds sit on my pool coping and reach for water. It's sad. Is this global warming? Is this just one of those summers we will talk about like 1980? Whatever....sick of it weather gods. Give me a cloud....a rain shower.....a day below, not 100. 90. Yes, I'm picky. Don't see the difference between 99 and 100. Or 95 and 100. Let's just get cool for a couple of days? A cloud? A huge umbrella to cover the Cauldron?

I am getting in my car and driving until I find cool air. North, just heading that way. How hard can it be to cross the Canadian border and hang out in cold air for a day or two? Or until October? Or forever. It is this time of year I become convinced I will never wear jeans or anything with long sleeves ever again in my life. It seems absurd to open my closet and see a coat. Boots in my closet? BOOTS? When on earth did I need my feet to be warm?  GLOVES? I don't need gloves. Neck scarf to... what? Did I ever wear that? Was my neck cold? WHEN? I would so go back to the day when I thought, "wow, my neck feels cold."

I KNOW, someday I will be going, brrrrrr, so cold. But I won't be complaining. I will be thrilled. THRILLED to suck in some cold hair and see my breath. To shiver, just for a minute before the car gets warm. Throw an extra blanket on my bed. LOVE THAT.

When we finally get that first cold front. Not the one that drops the temperature 10 or 20 degrees. The one that sends the breath of winter full force in your face, the noise you hear will be me. I will be outside yelling my approval at the world, at God, at Jack Frost. At whatever force makes me shiver. I love you.

Lillybell

No comments:

Post a Comment