Saturday, July 9, 2011

BYE BYE FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS

It is not often I sing praises of anything that passes for entertainment but I must salute Friday Night Lights. At our house this show has been must see TV since season one, episode one. We don't answer the phone during this program. We don't channel surf during this program so we don't miss any nuance at the beginning of any scene. It is worth watching the beginning just to listen to the Pat Matheny-ish theme song. I would name names if I knew who deserves the credit for this lovely melody but the credits run too fast. If you ever read this I applaud you, sir or ma'am. I can hear that guitar in my head as I keyboard.

If you don't watch Friday Night Lights I suggest you acquire the entire series on DVD and make yourself happy. The acting is top notch. The writing is good enough to draw you in and make you sad when the hour is up. The character development has been so well crafted that you understand each psyche. The weaving of the characters in and out of the story line is so real. People come and go just like in real life. Not every one gets the brass ring but some do. Lessons are learned the hard way over time. Like life. I want to live in the same town as these characters they are so real.

I hate saying goodbye. I feel like I am moving out of town and everyone else is staying. Eric, Tammy, Julie and Gracie are a family I don't want to leave. I want to know what happens to Vince. I want to know how the Riggins brothers turn out. Will Buddy die an old drunk or will he return to his former glory as a business and community leader? Do any of the Dillon players become NFL starters?

After next Friday night I won't get anymore answers. The lights are going out on the show. I would say "the game" but this show is about life. Football is a background story and the glue that holds it all together. The stories of the people in the town, the losses, the successes, the sadness, the joy that surrounds them and touches other lives have made this more than entertainment. It's been an invitation to see how life is in a small Texas town.

I had a wonderful time.

Normally I end all my communications with, "You're Welcome". Today I close with:

Thank you,
Lillybell Blues

1 comment:

  1. I know, FNL was absolutely brilliant. I am in mourning, too. My husband doesn't get why I had to watch it because he knows I hate football. It is SO not about football. I used to love The Sopranos, too. He didn't get that either, because I abhor violence. But it was SO not about violence!

    ReplyDelete