Tuesday, July 19, 2011

LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, PLEASE

Not sure why but I lose friends easily. Not the, "tick tock the game is locked", kind of losing friends. I am talking about death.

The majority of the people I lost too soon are gone because they had a terminal disease, they refused to grow up. They thought, apparently, that living like you are 22 years old forever was great. Ergo, they drank too much and/or smoked too much and ate like your basic college student. At the age of 60, or damn near, it is time to grow up and hopefully repair some of the damage you have already done. You only get one liver and when it goes it takes you too. That goes for your brain too.

I have a dear friend who is brilliant. Smart about almost any subject. Not always correct but always informed. Talk, the man can talk and draw you in with his logic or irritate you to the point of rising to his level of debate. He's a drinker. He's a, "why have 6 beers when you can have 12", kinda guy. He smokes like he is personally responsible for keeping the tobacco industry going. I am sure he would have other vices if he had more hands and could incorporate it with the smoking and drinking.

Two weeks ago I got the call from the family. My friend was in the hospital having emergency surgery after an aneurysm. He almost bled to death. He is very, very lucky to be alive. Unfortunately, he isn't the same. At least not yet. He can't walk. He can't speak without slurring. He can't remember where he is and he cannot hold a fork or feed himself. He will be in rehab for months to relearn those things.

Note I didn't say stroke. His aneurysm was in a different part of his body but the damage from the slow bleeding into his system before the burst had done lots of damage. He knew he didn't feel good. He knew something was wrong but he just didn't want to find out what. He also knew he had high blood pressure but didn't take medication because he hated the side effects. Didn't want to take the time to go to the doctor. Didn't want to get a lecture about his lifestyle.

I can relate. I hate being told that I need to grow up and stop some of the foolish things I do. I hate for my doctor to say, "quit smoking. exercise more, eat right, lose weight, gain weight, take your cholesterol medication". I want to be 22 forever too, but I am not. Time to grow up. Time to skip the cheeseburger and have the salad. Time to have a cocktail instead of a drinking contest. Time to quit smoking. OK, time to cut back.

I love you, my friend, I want you to be fine. I want to argue with you some more. Once you are better I want to bitch slap you for not taking care of yourself. You'll love that. You know how much you appreciate my unique way of showing I care. Then we can go back to disagreeing about everything.

Please learn from my friend. Don't be too smart or too childish. Grow up.

You're Welcome,
Lillybell Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment