Sunday, July 24, 2011

REMEMBER WHEN WONDER WAS A GOOD THING?

I am the first to admit I live in a little fantasy world from time to time, OK, daily. I am of the opinion that life should be enjoyable. Life should be full of wonder That, yes, we all get handed lemons and it is at this point everyone should jump in and help to squeeze the lemons so we can all have lemon aid. Some people call this Communism. I call it Hippieism. I am not sure how the generation I grew up with became the generation it is now. I am in wonder that the Tea Party is a spawn of the same people who wanted to "love your brother". Now they want "your brother"  is stay where he belongs.

I should never turn on my television. I like to be informed and since I am brilliantly gifted I can listen to what's going on, (I mean brilliant like walking and chewing gum), while actually doing something. Turning on the television is action number three or four in my stroll from bedroom to diet coke. Then, BAM, something strikes me as so absurd or so incredibly foolish that I find myself here venting. My husband loves this by the way. He has to listen to me less. I used to talk to the television, now I just fill cyberspace with wonder. WONDER WHAT ON EARTH HAPPENED.

The NFL, NBA lock outs to me are full of wonder. They are the metaphor of what is wrong with the world. Please try and put yourself in my little world of butterflies and bunnies for just a minute because this is how I would write the story.

Once upon a time there were boys who loved to play certain games. Tough games. Games that break bones and can cause serious injuries. The love of the game, the thrill of the competition, the need to be part of something that WINS was enough. The feeling of accomplishment. Strutting with your team, that swagger that says it all. They played for GLORY.

The losers of these contests pushed themselves to be better, to win, to be able to be one of the strutters. There cannot be one among these boys who didn't dream of scoring the winning points in the Super Bowl or the Championship game. Like little girls wanted to be princesses, or in my case a Beatle, these boys wanted to be heroes on the field or the court. It filled childhood with wonder.

Some of these boys had enough talent to play in high school. Fewer had the talent to play in college. Fewer, the best of the best, the tiniest percentage play professionally. They live the dream.

Then they become greedy, spoiled, snotty bastards. Why does this happen? In my opinion, I gave up on the humble part, it is because at some point in time a rich white guy figured out he could make money off of competition. That ruined everything.

Now we have The Haves and The Owns arguing over billions of dollars. And those of us who love the sport are begging them to please settle their problems so we can spend more money than is reasonable to sit in a temple built for the heroes to compete in. Yeah, not me. Not this time. Pardon my English, BITE ME.

I can't say I won't watch for free on TV, I will. I will not buy anything with an NFL logo. I will not buy the advertisers products. It's mainly beer and I don't drink that anyway. I certainly won't go to a game. That isn't a protest, that is a financial reality. I will watch college football and given the chance I will go see a college game. Those players are just spoiled not snotty.

In Lillybell World where in my mind I run everything, this is how the lockout would end. I would take the billions in questions. Then I would slap everyone in the room with one of those HUGE checks for said amount and then I would divide the money among the people about to lose their homes. I'm not stupid enough to give it to the lenders. Then they would all be forced to listen to me rant about why greed does not pay because it makes me mad.

I hate suffering. It makes me mad. I hate people who take advantage of things they don't need. That makes me mad too. I hate watching people whine about BILLIONS of dollars while children go hungry every single day. Does that make me a Communist? I thought it made me human.

What hurts me the most is that WE are doing this. The Peace and Love generation. That lasted what? Three days? What makes me feel stupid is that I still believe that. We should take care of our brother. When that brother starts to get greedy and just wants to be lazy, that brother has to clean out the pig pen. I think we should give of what we have. It doesn't hurt me to give someone what I know I have enough of. I'm not rich, I am comfortable. My brother is hungry, I have two burgers....he gets one. Is that so wrong?

Some Native American cultures believed in proving your wealth by giving away your excess. A Potlatch, probably spelled wrong or perhaps even the wrong word, but there was an official ceremony to give your stuff away to those who had less. It proved your place in society and took care of the society for the benefit of all. It didn't stop competition, it didn't stop people from wanting more, they just wanted it for a different purpose. To share, not to bloat themselves.

Tinkerbell is here, gotta go. We bells gotta stick together.

Lillybell

No comments:

Post a Comment