Monday, July 11, 2011

REMODELING IS NATURES WAY OF TELLING YOU TO MOVE

Early this spring I noticed that when I stood on a certain spot on my master bathroom floor it was very warm. At first I tried to convince myself that my cats had chosen to sleep on cold tile all night. No. Soon I realized that the very warm spot was getting bigger. I also couldn't help but notice that the tiles in the shower were falling off. That's a dead give away that you have a problem.

Time to call a plumber and the insurance company. The insurance company was very sympathetic but explained our deductible was higher than the cost of fixing the leak. YAY! Chose a high deductible so I could afford my premiums. They were also sorry that my house builder didn't know to use green board in the shower. OOPS, behind my shower walls lived a colony of black mold that would make a mold mother proud.  OH, and the shower pan was never level. OH, and the actual plumbing was not put in right, the drain itself is crooked.

My husband and I decided we would remodel our master bathroom since half of it was going to be jackhammered up and thrown out anyway. At least this would give me the chance to get rid of all the shiny, now peeling and tarnished brass hardware that was so popular in the nineties. And the double mirror sliding mirror closet doors that always reminded me of Motel 6. And those horrendous lighting fixtures that must have cost a dollar ninety-eight for the builder. Fourteen or fifteen thousand dollars we thought.

We must have been drinking. Or dreaming. Or both. That dollar figure might cover the labor. Maybe not. We kept finding little problems like the house not being wired to code. The Jacuzzi tub was never wired correctly. The wires ran through a cabinet and not behind a wall. The shower head was too short, the shower pan to cracked. The GFI is wired to all the bathrooms, the garage and the outside plugs which fill with water when it rains and we lose power. All that had to be fixed.

Today the vanities I had to order on line because I couldn't find exactly what I wanted in any store that didn't have to be custom ordered or built are being delivered.  Delivery was to be this morning but now of course it's this afternoon, between 2 and 5. That's convenient for the contractors and me. We all get to sit and wait. Of course they are still working. I am holding on to my sanity while trying to figure out how long it will take me to pay for all of this. My bathroom now officially costs more than my car. I have a nice car.

Whine, I get a new bathroom. I know.

My contractors will probably all be taking lovely vacations. I will be spending my vacation in my tub. And Christmas and birthdays and anniversaries for years to come.

Remodeling is more expensive and difficult that you have heard or been led to believe. Seriously just move. It has to be easier and definitely more quiet.

You're Welcome,
Lillybell Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment