Wednesday, June 29, 2011

ILYT Confessions of Serial Marrier Lessons Learned

My dad taught me many things but the best thing he ever taught me is the following which I must paraphrase: Everything in life is a choice except breathing. You have to breathe to live, after that it is all choice. If you choose to live outside the law or the accepted morals and behaviors of the the society you live in then have chosen to possibly accept the consequences of your actions. GOOD ONE.

You pick your hassles. Nothing is idyllic. There is no nirvana or utopia. Every choice has an associated hassle. You want to live in the suburbs? You have to drive in traffic. You want to live in the country? You have to drive a distance to get anything. You want to live where it's cold? You are going to be snowed in sometimes. You want to live on a river? You will experience a flood. I think you get the general idea here. You pick your  hassle to have what you want.

Learn to entertain yourself. This is from my mom. I added, learn to like yourself when you are alone. Being at peace with yourself in complete silence and solitude is comforting. Cherish yourself.

Appreciate effort. You may not like the results but appreciate what someone tried to do.

There is something better at the end. This is the lesson from my friend Johnny.
Johnny was one of my gay friends at work He made me laugh everyday. We stayed in touch after we both moved on to different places and things in our lives. Johnny called me one day to tell me he had suffered a heart attack and almost died. Actually did die and was revived. He said he always chose to NOT believe in anything after this life because maybe God really does hate gay people. When he "died" he stood in the light. He felt the love and serenity and peace of heaven. He said he learned in an instant that in reality nothing matters but love. Loving and being loved in return. He couldn't wait to get back. His mission was to say "I love you" and why to everyone in his life. He made it. He accomplished his mission and passed away quietly in his sleep within days.

I am not saying be a Christian. I am saying know that what you do here on earth matters every day. Do not pass up an opportunity to show kindness. Do not miss that chance to say or show, "I love you".  Use your self to promote goodness and light and make the world a better place. You will be happier too.

Thanks for reading. I love you all.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment