Tuesday, June 28, 2011

ILYT Confessions of a Serial Marrier REALLY?

The next day was Friday and we had the same flight back home. Then I would have to drive like a maniac to get my parent's to visit with brother and his family. LOVE HIS KIDS. Couldn't wait to play Aunt Lillybell. Friday morning Current took me into downtown and showed me the Institute of Art, The Drake Hotel, Marshall Fields store with the Tiffany mosaic ceiling. I had my mouth open all day. I had never seen things like Monets and entire glass wall by Marc Chagall. The Drake was elegant and Marshall Fields, well, I was in shopping heaven. Picked up gifts for niece and nephew and a little something for me. When we got to the airport MY seat had been upgraded to first class. Not his,  mine. I had never flown first class. I felt like a fish out of water. Fortunately, I adapt easily.

I made it to my parent's house on time. I was all dressed up and got the Aunt Lillybell thrill of children's adoration. My dad immediately started grilling me on how the very important meeting with all the important MEN was. I told him important women were there too. He was not amused. I told him it was great. I expected to get the money I had begged for and then we would start rolling out national plans. Then I added that the most difficult part of my trip had been telling my bosses boss I wouldn't marry him. I was kidding. My father said, and I quote, "I'm sure he wants something from you but I doubt seriously a man like that would want to marry you".  REALLY? STILL?

"Daddy, shut up. In case you have not noticed I have no problem finding men who want to marry me I just haven't found one worthy of my fabulousness. YOU'VE NEVER MET THIS MAN who is too good for your daughter based on his position in business. I know when a man wants to marry me and he does!"

Time passed. Current took me places and sent me places. He never booked himself in the same hotel. He sent Shaneequa and me to the Caribbean on vacation for HER birthday. He bought me car he thought I would look good in. A classic Corvette that I couldn't get out of without groaning. He showed me life could be different all right. If I mentioned I liked something it appeared. If I said I always wanted to go here or there, he sent or took me. This can't be real.

I finally took him to meet my parents. My dad took me aside and said, "marry him". I did.

I don't talk much about Current. He's my secret. I always describe him as the massive solid wall in the  gallery or museum where the art is displayed. He provides the platform and gives everyone their time in the spotlight. He doesn't like it there, being the center of attention. He likes the background. He is solid. He is my rock.

We have not had a perfect life. We have had every problem you can have. Financial, illness, deaths of family members, difficult ex wife, care giving to our parents and a money pit house. But I never have to worry about whether or not he will be here, be sober, have an answer or suggestion. He always is and he always does. He is calm when I am railing. He is reasonable when I am ranting. In other words he is a Saint that I do not deserve.

And I will keep him.

Stayed tuned. The final chapters are about what happened to everyone, apologies where necessary and the world's best advice. Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment