Saturday, August 13, 2011

HERE WE GO AGAIN, ANOTHER ELECTION CYCLE

It is that time in America where we get to exercise our right. Used to be that meant voting. Now it means we can be hateful by following the example of the hopeful candidates. There are already billboards up across the nation with President Obama's picture with the question, DID YOU VOTE FOR OBAMA? EMBARRASSED YET?

Not as embarrassed as I am to come from a nation where this is political discourse.

I am embarrassed that what should be a very serious intellectual discussion is on a childish "am not, are too" level. Lots of pointing and saying how bad "THEY" are. Vote for me, I have pretty hair. Vote for me, my husband can cure your gay relatives. Vote for me, I only got kicked out of D.C. once. Vote for me, I have better hair than that guy. But of course the bottom line is: OBAMA IS EVIL. HE HAS DONE  NOTHING EXCEPT MAKE MISTAKES.

Remember when he was a Muslim? Remember when he wasn't born in America? You know why all this is happening? Shhhh. He's Black. I know. That sounds ludicrous. The Tea Party is really just racism released from the closet in my opinion. They dislike minorities, which they are quickly becoming. They want to cut all social programs unless it effects them. They wrap themselves in false patriotism. Think Palin. God, guns, MONEY!

Some white men HATE losing their grip on everything. Just imagine if a black woman ran for president. The racist, misogynists among us wouldn't know what to hate the most.

I have a conservative male friend. He spent an evening explaining to me that the world was fine until women got the right to vote. Women are too emotional and, though he didn't want to sound sexist, women really ruined the political process. You didn't sound sexist. You sounded, I can't think of a word for that....stupid?

Before it is too late let's change the process in America. Debates only. No ads. Not in print, not on TV. No phone calls. No polls. Nothing negative. Run on your record. If you have not held elected office before you have no record so give us outline of your ideas and background.

No party spokes people. No fund raising. You won't need it with a debate only forum. There should be many debates. REAL debates, not sound bite opportunities. If you have never seen a debate go to your local college and see how it's done.

NO ONE MENTIONS GOD.  No kissing babies. No pancake breakfasts. No photo ops with children or veterans. No dogs. No happy family photos. We aren't electing your family.

No mention of fashion. The First Lady, the candidates wives and the candidates themselves. Shut up, don't care who they are wearing.

As an incumbent I expect the President to run the country. He can participate in all the debates but really, do the job. Senators or Congressmen you too. Do your job. Debate. Then we will decide whether or not we want to vote for you.

OK, here is the kicker. VOTE. If you do not you will pay a big ass fine. Decide, should I go have a say in my government or pay a BIG ASS fine?  Up to you.

You're Welcome,
Lillybell Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment