Wednesday, May 18, 2011

ILYT Confessions of A Serial Marrier - Life Is Not Good

While Paul was perfect in every sense of the word he had a few issues. He did not handle a structured environment well. He was actually enrolled at UT in Austin and once in a while he would hitch to Austin and attend a few classes but within days he would be back. It was hard to be away from me of course. Maybe he didn't say that but it was so obvious. Paul's desire was to move back to California and attend college there. I figured we could move there after we were married and he could get an advanced degree there. Every one's happy.

One evening I weaved my ability to spout bull shit and convinced my parents that my life would never be the same if Paul could not come over and watch the Wizard of Oz with me. It had been my favorite movie since childhood. This was on a Sunday night and the annual broadcast of the movie was a never miss for me. Mom and dad were going out to dinner and to church and didn't think this was the best plan. Me and Paul alone for two hours. I was indignant. What did they think I was going to do? Did they not trust me their little girl? I wore them down and got the lecture about nothing being more important than your reputation and mom's new favorite, "what would the neighbors think?"

I'm sure by now you can guess what happened. One thing lead to another and soon we were on the floor engaged in the act. This was it. By this act I pledged myself eternally to Paul. We may not be married but we would be. Maybe this fact would spare me the mark of the Beast. In my mind I wondered, "would I hear Mario Lanza singing 'Be my love for no one else can end this yearning?'". Would I hear the sound of surf pounding the shore? Nope. I heard, "Lions and tigers and bears oh my. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my. Lions and tiger and bear, OH MY!".  Zip.

Three weeks later Paul moved to California.

No comments:

Post a Comment