Sunday, January 1, 2012

and a HAPPY NEW YEAR...please

Every year people around the world go berserk one week after Christmas. Just in case all that celebrating wasn't enough it is time to ring in the New Year, so woo hoo, party on! I am not sure why this habit irritates me so much, but it does. It has since I was six years old.

In 1959 I was allowed for the first time in my life to stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve. It was the beginning of a new decade. I had no idea what that meant so my father graciously explained to me the calendar, leap day, leap year, decade, century, etc. WOW, it sounded fantastic, a new decade starting tomorrow, 1960! After much pleading I was allowed to wait until midnight to see the decade change.

Nothing. Zip. Nada. I just didn't get it. The New Year arrived and I had to go to bed. The next morning every thing and every one was exactly the same. No gifts, no real celebration, lots of football. Yeah, I was incredibly disappointed. Big deal. It was midnight and then nothing changed.

Over the years I went to New Year's Eve parties, hosted parties, went to public events, went to private events, had dates, didn't have dates, was married or divorced. New Year's Eve is one stupid celebration. It celebrates nothing but having to remember what the heck year is it now?

People have long argued with me over this so called holiday. I contend it is much ado about nothing. They insist it is like turning over a new leaf. No, it isn't. No magic fairy dust gets sprinkled on your head and suddenly you are a better person. No matter what your "resolutions" may be, they still only work IF you are ready to do the work. That can happen any day of the year. Or not.

People set themselves up for disappointment and heartbreak because it is the day the calendar stops one year and begins again. They MUST go somewhere, they REALLY want a fabulous date. They want to look good and behave like contestants in an "I Am An Annoying Drunk" contest. Setting themselves up for disappointment before it is even midnight. Then after the sloppy and uncomfortable kissing of loved ones and/or strangers, it is time to tell the whole world, drunk on your ass, how you are gonna be better, stop smoking, lose weight, go to counseling, paint the house, train the puppy, get a job, whatever, so you can disappoint them as well as yourself. Great way to start a year.

On the actual day, January 1, millions of people world wide wake up with a hangover, possibly a stranger, and a vague memory of how they are supposed to get up and go to the gym  ...everydayuntilIlosethis25poundsreally. Nope, must go back to work tomorrow. And take down the Christmas tree. That probably won't leave much time for the gym, better start that next week. OH, my head. I really need a cigarette. Too bad I quit. Again. Maybe I should just cut back. MERCY! I think I must have the flu.

I talk to people who, "really didn't drink that much. It really just hit me all of the sudden. Let's see I had cocktails and then champagne and then a few more cocktails. Did I mention the Bloody Mary's I started with in the morning?"  They are stunned every year at how awful they feel. And how tired they are. WOW! It is shocking. My mother had "the stomach virus" every January 1 for years.

I still do not understand why people put themselves through this ritual. I could get with the program if we all woke up January 1 with something to show for the New Year. Wake up healthier, happier, wealthier, more satisfied with life and the world. But inevitably we wake up with the same joys and sorrows we went to sleep with. If there was any sleep.

With all my cynicism, my wish is the same every year. World peace, an end to hunger and suffering, a cure for all illness and love for every person.

And an attitude adjustment.

A happy, healthy, prosperous New Year and a better world for us all.
Lillybell Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment