Saturday, October 15, 2011

STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES, f.gump

There are days when I venture out into the world and think, "where are the smart people?" While I do not consider myself a genius I can pretty much navigate a day without too much confusion.

Apparently, that puts me in the minority.

I am a people watcher, can't help it. I think we all are at heart. Not voyeurs just curious about other people, how it would be to walk in an other's shoes. Not literally, that is like bowling in the 1950s.

Wonder if they had massive outbreaks of foot fungus in that decade?

Here is what I have learned from my observations. Most people think they are the only human on earth. They are encased in a "me" bubble when they are in public. Behind the wheel of a car people think they are invisible and they assume that everyone else is watching the road because they are not. Stopping in the middle of the road because they are lost? Can't find their lipstick? Need to scratch something really private? Not sure but I see it frequently. Usually it is someone confused by the road or just in general.

Drive around the airport and you will witness this phenomenon.

I admit that the signage for DFW must have been installed by the lowest bidder or newbies at TxDOT. 121 north/183 east is a death trap entrance/exit anyway.  Add in directions like, "121 North DFW North Entrance, 183 DFW South Entrance" and it is a stop and go WTF???

Approaching DFW on southbound 121, 635 merges right before the signs: Dallas 183,  Ft Worth 121 South, 183. DFW, with arrows pointing every direction, and "GOOD LUCK" . They added the good luck sign for the duration of the construction that is some form of torture so severe people who live east of Grapevine refuse to drive it. Leave it to the amateurs. The result is like ice skating by people who have never skated before. Lots of falling, stopping, holding on and sitting because you cannot move. FOR MILES.

Let's say you are a visitor to our Messtroplex and you need to get to the airport. How the hell are you supposed to know north or south entrance? You just want to get to the airport and miles away you are already stumped. North or South? Didn't know there was a choice, shit. Slam on the brakes. Is that arrow my lane for DFW or one over? Is it two? Why are people moving to the right? Should I do that?  Did that sign say....missed it. Shit everyone is moving left, why?  Slam on the brakes.

Then there are the, "oh yes I can text, talk, adjust the tunes, comb my hair and feel up my girlfriend at the same time" drivers. Uh, no, you can't. You are a menace, get off the road. Do it now. Really. And pull up your pants.

I see parents, or care givers of children, turn around in obvious anger and yell at the child and/or look for something that the child dropped. All while driving 70 mph and talking on a phone. Hey, pullover, fix your child's problem and then drive. I know, such a pain to get out of people's way and maybe not kill your child.

And not just the roads, the world.

I was in the nail salon yesterday having my ooh la la mani/pedi, (Princess...yes, I know), and I watched the shoppers go in and out of one of the anchor stores in the mall where I get my Princess fix. No kidding, 4 out of 5 people were on a phone. Really? How much do you need to talk to someone before you go to Macy's? Those not talking on a phone were stoned, I mean lost. Or appeared to be.

Groups of moms with their strollers were like roadblocks for those needing to talk and shop. Three abreast in their own little baby world. "He said a word yesterday, 'bee'."  "She said 'bee' before she was born". "The twins can pull themselves up and work an equation!". Whatever, move. All babies are cute and gifted....move your tiny butts and let the rest of walk through the world for just a minute.


Big box hardware stores, don't even get me started. Too late. People stand dead center in an aisle and stare at one spot like they are waiting for a message from the gods of home improvement. Hello? Can you meditate somewhere else? They are waiting for help, which you know ain't comin' if you have ever had a question in one of those stores. "I need a 7/8s flange device that will connect the thingy to the dealie", response from employee, "uhhh". Holy cow, take it to the side please and let me find a damn light bulb. Thank you soooo little.

One afternoon I was searching for something for my bathroom during the months long remodel. A family was on the same aisle. Mom, dad and screaming little girl. SCREAMING. Dad said, and I quote, "OK, we are leaving you here til you can behave", and walked out of the child's sight. After my eardrums were ruptured and bleeding they did come back for their child. She learned that mom and dad are assholes and they should have learned that their daughter was tired and needed and nap not a tour of the plumbing aisle.

Not that I am judgmental. I am supremely judgmental, there is a difference. Good grief people, look around you. We are not alone. There are others who need to go and do and some of them need to hurry. Some of them need to focus. All of them need you to get out of the way. Mom and dad lied when they said, "when you grow up you can do whatever you want". No you can't.

Surprise.

You're welcome,  :)
LBB

No comments:

Post a Comment